By our resident naturopath- Kate Dalton.
Improve productivity and concentration, stabilise blood-sugar, improve your mood and strengthen your immune system just by making sleep a priority.
We have 2 hormones that predominantly control our sleep/wake cycle- Melatonin (sleep) and Seretonin (wake), which work concomitantly.
1. Exercise daily. However, refrain from high intensity exercise within 1 hour before bed time as this can prevent melatonin from being synthesised adequately.
2. Adopt stress reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercises.
3. Avoid coffee and other stimulants after midday.
4. Switch off computers and anything else with a backlight at least 1 hour before bed.
5. Take the time to have a calming herbal tea before bed. Herbs such as chamomile, lavender and passionflower improve the production of melatonin.
6. Make sure your room is completely dark, quiet and warm.
7. Use your bedroom as a space for for sleeping and intimacy only- this creates a relaxed energy.